Pages

Monday 18 June 2012

Llandow 2012


16th June 2012, Llandow Practice. Well, what can I say, it was typical Welsh weather on the Saturday with rain all the time. Dad and I went down on the Friday so we would be awake when we got to the circuit rather than spend a couple of mins (30) getting the Kart ready as we had sent it off for a re-build. We got the engine on and went over to Jacob’s shelter whilst we waited for the 1st practice to start. An announcement came over the loud speakers saying that sign in was now open so we went up to the reception area and signed in. Llandow has the longest straight on the Easykart calendar however it has also got a very tight hairpin after it. Then there is a smooth few corners that can be taken in a straight line, Jacob called it a “Bendy Straight”! He comes up with some crazy things. Practice went well and I didn’t spin off to badly, when I did spin I could easily get back on the track and continue with the session. My watch failed to work as my rain suit was too thick for me to press the start button.  I wasn’t drinking anywhere near as much fluid as all I had to do was look up and I would have about a Powerade bottle’s worth of water on my face and in my mouth. No Major accidents so it was a good day and I managed to make some good passing manoeuvres around the hairpin!


17th June 2012, Llandow Race day! Even though it was sunny and dry it didn’t get off to a good start. In the 5 minute warm up I was doing well and was following this guy, putting a bit of pressure on to see if he would let me pass. On the final lap of the warm up he spins, I went right to the edge of the track, my outer two wheels weren’t even on the track! Almost all of my kart was passed him and I thought ‘phew that was a close one’ when suddenly I spun and crashed headfirst into the tyre wall. His kart was fine and he managed to drive it back to the pits with no damage except a few scratches on his bumper. I lifted the front of my kart round and got in it however every time I revved the engine to get going it would only rock backwards and forwards a tiny bit. The marshal said not to worry as it was not my fault and I wasn’t sure why he was making such a big deal about it until he said, axles aren’t that easy to replace.
It turned out I had bent the whole of my rear axle and got it jammed, the bearings wouldn’t move and the brake disc was very close to being damaged. My dad came jogging over with the trolley all smiles thinking I had just crashed and couldn’t lift the kart however when we told him I had broken the axle he kept the smile but you could tell he was thinking ‘this wasn’t supposed to be an expensive weekend’ so not only did we have to replace the rear axle but we also had to buy new bearings and grub screws as they had been broken off. I missed out on qualifying and almost didn’t make it to the heat however everyone was very helpful and at one point we had not only me and my dad working on it but also a Club 100 mechanic (who was very, very, very helpful!), Jacob’s granddad and Adam (it was his kart before we got it) and his dad, well not Adam, he was driving his kart.
I got into the heat and was running pretty well in around 25th-26th out of 29 when suddenly the engine hit max revs and I wasn’t getting any power, I later found out that the whole axle had moved about 6-7cm. All we had to do was shift it back into place however because it was the axle that had moved not the brakes or the sprocket we had to get them back into place and then move the axle which took a bit of time, I made it to the pre-final but starting from very near the back.
In the pre-final my rolling starts weren’t there so yet again I had to work my way up from the back, on the 1st proper lap there was a 6 kart pileup with a few people getting thrown up in the air, they made it back to their karts and finished the race, most above me however some got parts broken and returned to the pits, I finished in 24th and was very pleased with myself.
In the final I did well and managed to not go down to last although I did drop a few places and found myself in second last. Luckily it was a false start and my friend Thomas Bukman had to get to the pits, all his brake fluid had leaked and as he went into the pits at 10mph his brakes failed and he went straight into the wire fence. Ouch! I made up a lot of places and even passed 2 people in one go around the Hairpin, it felt great. In the end I finished 18th which is my best result yet, I know I have only done 2 races but still, it is a 4 place improvement. I should be 1st in 5 races if it stays the same!
Bring on Forest Edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment