Pages

Monday 9 June 2014

Easykart Round 4 - Clay Pigeon | Race Preview



Coming up is the fourth round of the Easykart UK championship, held this year at Clay Pigeon. All the way back in 2012, Clay Pigeon was the first race I went to. Although I have never done very well at Clay Pigeon I am sure I should do better this time, new kart, new mentality. It is a great circuit to drive, wet or dry, with lots of fast, but technical sections. It is one of the smaller tracks we go to I think, but that just puts more pressure on the driver - it also means we get more laps, Yipee.
From reading the Club100 circuit guide, as I normally do, I have decided that probably the most important corner is turn 7, or the Top bend (Winston's Flip), as if done well it allows you to get lots of speed along the start finish line and hopefully set you up well for the next corner(s). "This looks like a very straightforward bend but it is very easy to get wrong. It is very important to get the exit correct or you will not have the speed going into Billy’s Blind. It is possible to overtake going into turn 7 if a lesser driver has made a mistake at the Horseshoe or Symonds Grass track but can lead to accidents." Also it could give you enough of an edge to storm past someone before the next corner. With my rather unconventional race last time out at Shenington I hope to keep my position better.
Quotes from the Club100 circuit guide.
clay
Image from the Club100 circuit guide
Andy's suggested set-up for Clay Pigeon (Junior)
Set up

  • Carb setting start 50mins to 60mins low jet
  • Main jet : 83
  • Sprocket 77tooth
  • Suggested chain length 100 or 102 links (CZ Chains remember!)
  • Exhaust flex 75mm to 80mm suggested
Dry
  • 20mm or 25mm from spacers
  • Rear track 138 to 239..... wait no, 139
  • Tyre pressures from between 9 to 12 psi
Wet
  • Full front spacers
  • 134 to 135 rear track, unless you are James in which case nothing changes
  • Tyre pressure 11 psi - grease, 14psi - wet, 18 psi - monsoon
I am looking forward to this weekend away racing because, as mentioned before it was the first track I raced an Easykart. Also unless it is the e-plate the weather is normally stunning. Hopefully see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment