Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Wets to Slicks in 13 minutes. A how to

Racing between 4 drivers
#Well, this isn't actually a how to but it did happen. So don't expect to find any information or tips on getting an extra set of decent slicks here.#

The weekend of the 14th-15th September saw the final round of the Easykart season. A total of 20 drivers were racing and it was an eventful weekend. Harry Barlow had already wrapped up the Cadet championship but turned up to add the cherry on the top. Thanassi Barnicoat had the Junior Championship sorted but didn't risk racing, in case something happened and he lost his title. The Senior classes I believe were still up for grabs. Anyway, onto me. We, dad and I, arrived at our premier inn on the Friday after getting lost as dad took a wrong turn... it was a great place with a restaurant that seemed to go all over the place.

Battle between 3 Drivers. I am the middle one.
Saturday 14th September. Practice Day. We arrived at the track to find a space directly opposite our friends, Jacob and Matt Wardle. We were set up in plenty of time, kart sorted and signed on ready for the day. It started out as a damp track so I went out more to get a feel for the track rather than to get a good time. The weather was supposed to get worse throughout the day but it didn't, it got drier. So on the second session I went out on slicks. It was still slightly damp in some places but it was obvious that it would be a quick and demanding track. Quick as there were many fast corners and demanding because of the amount of bumps I felt round the track throwing me about in my seat. The day just got quicker and quicker. I managed to get a 47.2 second lap as my fastest, which was quick but not quick enough! I felt ok and looking back I think we should have been happy with it, but I felt the lack of a 46.something lap time was down to me. I felt sure I could get one but I wasn't sure how.

Me going round a corner - dry track
Me having gone round the same corner - damp track
Sunday. Race day. According to the BBC we were either going to get rain at 1pm, 4pm, 6pm or not at all. So we were hopeful. It started off as a dry track, so the warm up was fine, as was qualifying and the heat. However once the heat was over (I finished 13th but would start 16th) it was lunch and that just opened the door for the weather.
The Tyre. This may look like it has trread, but it doesn't!
By the time we were on the grid again it was a damp track, the weather was threatening to drop a bucket on us and I think everybody was hoping it wasn't. The track wasn't dry enough for slicks at the start and so the decision was wets. This is where the title comes from. I was out on track for 13 minutes and I was working those tyres to their death, quite literally although I didn't know it. I was up to around 12th by the first corner and battling for 10th by the second when suddenly I was spun. I was now at the back of the grid and chasing someone with a broken rear bumper, it was trailing along the ground. I like firework displays as much as the next guy but not whilst I am trying to race! I was now on a mission to catch up after he went in. Although in my head I was sure it would take only just less than a miracle to gain on Jess or Matthew. I was close at the end but not close enough. I finished 18th so down 2 places. The tyres looked OK but when they have been used in the dry you can't see much of the tread anyway.
By the time the final came it was a really damp track and I had to use the wet tyres. I was up to 16th almost immediately off the start and I was hoping it would go well. Up to 13th by the second corner and all looked good. However I then felt my grip going, or at least I realised I had to slow down a bit more than I wanted to to get into the corners. Most of the time when I was following someone I would try to take their line a little bit slower than them and my kart would just understeer massively. I couldn't get round any of the corners like other people could. After the race, with me finishing in 17th but last past the chequered flag, I looked at my tyres and saw how little tread there was on them, They would have been classed and dry-intermediates. Not even intermediates! there was so little tread on them. It was a wonder and proof of my driving capabilities that I :
1) finished the race
2) managed to keep up with the guy who finished just ahead of me

Next race/blog post will be the e-plate in November unless I have a training day before then. This year it is at Whilton Mill so if you want to see some racing just come along, but don't expect me to come 1st, that might happen next year but who knows!




No comments:

Post a Comment